Thursday, May 5, 2011

Downtown DC Without a Map

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to drive around downtown DC without a map, 6 days after you moved there? I used to, but not anymore. Now I know.

I had to drive someone from the army base I work on to Andrews Air Force Base (but I didn't get to see Air Force One--even though Obama left for NY that day!!!) for him to get on a plane for Hawaii. I was terrified to drive a large government van through the streets of DC, but let's be honest, I was also thrilled beyond all reason.

Me. Driving a huge government van through the streets of DC. Yeah, I'm cool.

Anyway. So my coworker printed off a google map but he asked if I needed a GPS, too. I think we all know that I am a google maps kind of girl. Remember that trip to Texas? Anyway, since I've been here all of 6 days I thought it might be helpful to have a GPS, since I would be driving back alone.

Unfortunately, for some reason it wasn't working as we drove out to the Air Force base. No problem--we have the google map, and we only missed one turn. I know, pretty impressive.

So I drop him off (a process which involved me having to go into the hanger, go through security, get wanded, and then walk back out because I actually wasn't needed) and when I get back to the car, I realize that he has the maps still.

I started running back into the hanger (I didn't even kind of look like a fool running through an air force base in heels) and then, suddenly, I remember the GPS. Yes. I have a GPS. Why do I need maps? Even though it didn't work on the way in, it should probably work on the way out.

Nice idea, but wrong.

For some reason the GPS couldn't find the base on which I work. And unfortunately, I don't know any addresses of anything in that area.

Oh well. Who needs GPS when they are driving a large government van and can just guess? Don't worry, I only made a few wrong turns. Guided by my innate sense of direction (and the fact that I had just driven out that way), I made it back. And a mile away from my work, I finally realized that even if the GPS can't give you directions, there is still an incredibly useful street map you can use...

Needless to say, my coworkers were impressed when I made it back without a map. What can I say...maybe now I'm ready to try New York without a map!

2 comments:

  1. Love it.

    We had some trouble with GPS on the army base I covered during my mission (when I was in Kentucky). I think it was because the area was too new or too secret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you have a giant government van.

    And Becca, did you really get to use a GPS on your mission?

    ReplyDelete