Thursday, January 31, 2013

Strange Happenings Lately

I know that I don't update my blog as often as I (or some of you) would like, so here are two strange things that happened in the last week or so:

1--I went out to lunch with some grad students in my department. My two friends ordered alcoholic drinks, while I ordered water. Now picture this: I am sitting on one side of the table next to one friend, and my other friend is sitting on the other side of the table, kitty-corner from my seat. My water is in front of me, but since no one is directly across from me and I am still reading the rather large menu, my cup was sitting farther away from me than normal. My friend sitting kitty-corner from me asks me a question, and as I start to answer, I see her reach over and, without breaking eye contact, grab my water, take a sip, and then set it back down. As I am in the middle of talking I pause awkwardly as this happens, wondering if this is some strange ritual (I'm happy to share, but most people ask before taking a sip of other peoples' drinks). After she set the water down and I awkwardly continued my answer, she suddenly sat up straight and said, "Whose water is that?!" Apparently she always puts her water to the right, and even though it was on the other end of the table, it seemed natural for her to reach over and get it. Note to self: next time, keep my water closer to me to avoid confusion.

2--A couple of weeks ago one of the girls I visit teach called me and said that one of her textbooks that she had ordered from Amazon had been stolen from outside her apartment. She was quite distraught (understandably) because it was a very expensive textbook and her apartment is inside of a locked building, to which only residents have the key. Well, after checking to make sure she had exhausted every other option (she had) I told her that I would come to her apartment and go with her to knock on all the doors to see if her neighbors had seen the book (or guilt them into putting it outside her door in the middle of the night if they had stolen it). Disclaimer: I HATE knocking on random peoples' doors. But I had done this myself a couple of months ago when I thought something was stolen from outside my door, and it would have been A TON easier if someone had been with me. And besides the fact that I am her visiting teacher, she's from TAIWAN, people. I have a soft spot in my heart for Taiwanese people, and so there was no way I could not help her, you know what I mean?

So on the appointed evening I went to her apartment and we started knocking on doors. And guess what happened? The first door we knocked at, the man who answered was shirtless. OF COURSE. Because you know what I hate even more than knocking on random peoples' doors? Knocking on random peoples' doors and having shirtless men answer them. It was super awkward...and she didn't even get her book back. All of the people admitted having seen the package outside her door, but none of them knew what happened to it.

Sigh. At least I tried.

And just to make this post more interesting, I've included this lovely picture from Provo canyon that I took over Christmas break.

3 comments:

  1. I would have thought that being a Mormon evangelizer that knocking on random doors was part of the "work".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, TazLady--Mormon missionaries do knock on doors quite a bit. But even though I did it a lot, I still don't love it! :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful picture! Your story about your friend made me think of the other day at the pediatrician when the Dr. walked in and said, "How are the Talmage's?" I just gave an extra happy "Great, thanks!" as I was trying to suppress my laugh. He was a little embarrassed when he caught his mistake. :)

    ReplyDelete