Monday, March 10, 2014

Buying a Mattress, Ghetto Style

When I first moved to Columbus for grad school, I had nothing but the clothes on my back. And everything that could fit in to my car (so I guess a little more than the clothes on my back...). You know what doesn't fit in to my car? Furniture. My friends lent me an air mattress for the first couple of days that I moved in to my new apartment, but I needed to find a mattress ASAP. The only problem was (and always is) money. And transportation. I searched for several days to find a mattress that was cheap enough and close enough to my house that I could haul it myself.

Several days in to the search, I struck gold. A mattress store just down the street from my house was having a close-out sale. After bargaining with the salesperson for 30 minutes, we finally settled on a price. $89 dollars for a twin mattress--and an agreement that he would tie the mattress on top of my car so I could drive it home.

Yes friends, I did. With the mattress flapping in the wind, I drove it home, cut if off my car, and hauled it in to my house. Because I'm ghetto like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment